It’s a New Year. Which has been said so much in the last 24 hours that it is almost annoying. Regardless, I’m still excited about this New Year. 2015. It’s a fresh start for some, a wake-up call for others, and for some it’s the same old same old.
Personally I’m excited about this New Year. I’m ready for whatever it holds, and all of its unknowns. I’m also excited for all of the things I do know will happen this year. I’m excited about the opportunity to continue learning and improving in my job. I’m grateful for the friendships I’ve made in 2014 that will continue to deepen this upcoming year. Most of all I’m ecstatic that I get to be an aunt in June! Seriously, my brother and sister-in-love will have a tiny human roaming around in a few months—cue squeals of joy!
For everything that I know will happen, and for all the unknowns, I am planning on being intentional this year. That’s why I’ve come up with a list for 2015.
It feels a little silly, but I will be doing “twenty 15’s” this 2015. Some of them are going to be challenging as I’ll get out, while others are going to be a grand adventure. Regardless of how easy or difficult completing everything on my list will be, I’m pumped about the growth that’s bound to happen. I’m anxiously awaiting these 365 days to come along because of how exciting I know this year is going to be.
So, without further ado, here is my list of twenty 15’s I will be striving to accomplish this year:
- Write 15 handwritten letters and mail them the good old-fashioned way—snail mail!
- Read 15 books*
- Add 15 people to my Young Living Team
- Go on a walk for at least 15 minutes every day (preferably I’ll be more towards the hour mark on this one since it’s one of my favorite things to do)
- Try 15 new foods I’ve never eaten before*
- Do 15 things that scare me*
- Drink NigXia Red every day for 15 weeks
- Devote 15 minutes to prayer, meditation, and/or silence daily
- Write and post 15 blogs this year (one every month with 3 thrown in randomly)
- Learn 15 basic conversations in sign language
- Go on at least 15 different hikes
- Watch 15 sunrises
- Watch 15 sunsets
- Visit 15 places I’ve never been before (hello Wisconsin and New Orleans!)*
- Completely unplug my life for 15 different days throughout this year (I’m talking live like a freaking cave woman…no phone, no computer, no car, and no electricity-ish)
- Devote 15 minutes to writing every day (who knows what I’ll come up with…maybe another book!)
- Every Sunday evening I will think back on my week and write down 15 things I saw that reminded me of the goodness human beings posses
- Spend 15 days outside of America
- Complete a 15-day Daniel fast
- Read/study 15 books of the Bible (Job, Philippians, Daniel, Proverbs, Psalms, Malachi, John, Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon, Genesis, Exodus, Lamentations, Joel, Galatians)
*For numbers 2, 5, 6, and 14 I am still in the thinking process of what the specifics will be. However, here’s what I’ve got so far:
#2- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown, The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman, Blonde by Joyce Carol Oats, The Brief Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
#5- Laksa, Udon, kimchi, spam, Crème brûlée
#6- Learn to long board, get set up on a blind date, go to a party by myself, hitchhike, go shopping on black Friday, go snowboarding again, scuba dive
#14- Wisconsin, New Orleans, Oneonta Gorge (Oregon), Yellowstone National Park, Chicago, Skagit Valley Tulip Fields (Washington)
Please share your suggestions for how I should fill in the 4 lists above!
So, what are your plans for this New Year?