I’ve been on a number of road trips in my short life. My family used to take an annual summer trip to Dallas when my siblings and I were younger. We would drive the 6 hours, and have a blast. Also, the high school I graduated from takes 2 Adventure Club Trips, one each semester. On these trips a group of 15-20 students, along with 4-7 adults would load up in vans/suburban’s and head to some far away State Park during a 3-day weekend. I’ve been to Colorado, South Dakota, Utah, and a few other places during these trips. Along these fun adventures, as well as the family trips, and some random road trips with friends, I’ve developed a love for road trips. Following are seven things I love about a road trip:
1) Music. I probably spend a good 2 days working on playlists for every road trip I ever go on. Even if my iPod never gets chosen to be played, there is a playlist for that specific car ride. I love coming up with clever song choices, pondering what mood to set, thinking about who all will be in the car, and what their preference would be. All in all, it’s a fun task that I gladly take on.
2) Food. Okay, this might seem like a silly one, but seriously, don’t you have your favorite snack food when you’re on the road? A food that you eat only when you’re going to be in the car for a while? My favorite car snacks consist of sunflower seeds, Mountain Dew Code Red, and Pizza Combo’s. I mean, I almost never eat/drink these items because they are a special treat for me in the car…
3) Scenery. So, I’m from West Texas. I literally live in a desert. There’s nothing but flat dry land, dead grass, and mesquite bushes to look at. So, whenever I venture outside of my homeland, I love discovering what some call grass, and a tree that can actually hold your weight. It’s a beautiful thing. I mean, oil rigs are great and all, but mountains, rivers, and big- no huge- green trees? Yea, I think you can understand why I love the scenery on road trips.
4) Reading. Lately, I seldom have time to read while on a road trip because I am typically the one driving. However, if I venture on a rather long strip of highway, and there are other drivers available, I love to pick up a book and get consumed in the pages. I am very grateful that God never made me carsick, because reading in a car is one of the best things ever.
5) Audio books/sermons. This one is more for me when I make my drive to and from college. It’s a 12 hour drive, and while I love music and great playlists, it gets boring after a few hours…especially when you’re by yourself. So, I greatly enjoy listening to audio books/sermons because it allows me to engage my mind in something that can teach me, instead of just enjoyment.
6) Excitement of the Destination. I don’t know about you, but I could be in the car for only 35 minutes, and the anticipation of arriving to my destination almost has me opening the car door and jumping out while the car is still in motion! I don’t know what it is, but when I see those road signs with the city name and miles remaining, man oh man, does my heart ever get excited! I love the opportunity to experience something new, or to have a swell time experiencing life with friends. Whatever the reason for being in the car, the destination is pretty much the best part, and not just because you get out of the car after being in it for 12 hours.
7) The people. If you know me, you probably know that I prefer silence over noise, and would rather listen than talk any day. While this is the case, I greatly enjoy the opportunity of spending time in a small space with a bunch of people I may or may not know very well. I enjoy the conversations that occur, the laughter that happens, and the sincerity that is felt. The people on a road trip, especially a long one, really make the experience what it can be.
Okay, so now it’s your turn. What has been your best-ever road trip experience? Why? What do you love/hate about road trips? What’s your FAVORITE road trip food?